Which Do You Believe...
- Republicans Believe that the United States were founded on the fundamental principle that individuals have certain rights and freedoms which cannot be infringed upon and may be restricted only to the degree necessary to preserve the rights of others.
Democrats Believe that our Founding Fathers did not really mean what they said when they guaranteed certain constitutional rights such as the right to freedom of religious expression, the right to keep and bear arms, and the right to retain the use of private property.
- Republicans Believe the money you earn is yours and that government in a free society has the right to take only as much as is needed to perform those limited functions, which are appropriate to it.
Democrats Believe government has a right to use your money as it sees fit to redistribute wealth, establish new spending programs in times of budget surpluses, and to return to you only that portion of your money which is politically expedient.
- Republicans Believe the traditional family and the values it fosters are the foundation of American society and their preservation is essential to our Nation's continued success.
Democrats Believe American society must redefine its values and the role of the family to fit new lifestyle concepts, which have resulted from the 60's counter-culture movement and an attitude that promotes an abrogation of individual responsibility.
- Republicans Believe parents have the right to determine the values with which their children will be raised and to have the widest possible choice among public, private and religious schools and that competition will improve public education.
Democrats Believe the federal government has the right to determine the values which will be taught in public schools and parents' choice of schools must be limited to avoid exposing public schools to competitive forces which would encourage reform and increase accountability.
- Republicans Believe that the free enterprise system is the most effective engine of economic progress.
Democrats Believe that government regulation and federal control of economic activity can better distribute wealth and services to the American people.
- Republicans Believe high taxes, runaway government spending, and over-regulation of business and farming punish initiative and stifle economic growth.
Democrats Believe penalizing achievement with higher taxes and increased government bureaucracy and spending will not stifle economic growth but instead guarantee prosperity for everyone.
- Republicans Believe that with freedom comes responsibility and that individuals must take personal responsibility for their own actions and our criminal justice system must be based on this idea.
Democrats Believe individual behavior, including criminal behavior, can be blamed on "society" and that spending on social welfare programs and improvements in prison living conditions can combat crime.
- Republicans Believe that your property is yours and you have the basic right to make use of it without unreasonable government restrictions.
Democrats Believe the government has the right to regulate the use of private property in accordance with narrow special interests without giving just compensation to owners.
- Republicans Believe the preservation of our rights and freedoms must be entrusted to a strong national defense and of the ability of the United States to negotiate with other nations from a position of strength.
Democrats Believe we can afford to drastically weaken our military despite the threats present in an unstable, post-Cold War international environment and the United States must subjugate its interests to those of the United Nations.
- Republicans Believe it is imperative today to re-affirm the traditional freedoms and values of America to preserve our great Republic.
Democrats Believe that America must adopt a politically correct, multi-cultural set of values which denies common American heritage and will further divide American society.
- Republicans Believe there can be differences of opinion and that such differences such result in opponents, not enemies.
Democrats Believe that all whom oppose them are to be treated as enemies.
- Republicans Believe that all of America's citizens can enjoy the rights and freedoms of our country without diminishing the rights of others.
Democrats Believe that some must give up a portion of their rights and freedoms that others may enjoy those same rights and freedoms.
- Republicans Believe that public servants, particularly those whom we elect to office, must be held accountable to the highest standards of ethical conduct. "If a man cannot be trusted with the government of himself, can he be trusted with the government of others?" [Thomas Jefferson]
Democrats Believe that loyalty to a discredited leader is a virtue and if other office holders have committed indiscretions, a sitting office holder should not be criticized for failing to uphold the highest standards of ethical conduct.